Department of Civil Engineering:
The department trains students in both theoretical and practical aspects of Civil Engineering. The students are trained in the current state-of-the art technology to enable them to adapt to ever changing technologies.
The academic activities of the Department emphasizes deep understanding of fundamental principles, development of creative ability to handle the challenges of Civil Engineering, and the analytical ability to solve problems which are interdisciplinary in nature. The Department also encourages its students to engage in extra-curricular and co-curricular activities, essential for development, nurturing of team spirit, and developing organizational skills. The faculty members of the department are involved in high quality research and consultancy activities, and they continue to enjoy academic leadership role in the country.
The Civil Engineering faculties are acknowledged as the friendliest faculty in the campus and interact well with the students. The interaction takes place both at departmental and individual level. The department has developed a guardian-mentor programme in which each new student is assigned under the care of a faculty member to act as a local guardian. There are annual debates between the students and faculty which are eagerly looked forward by all in the campus.
The Department has decided to give a thrust in future to strengthen the following areas:
- Building Technology and Construction Management: High performance cementitious materials, recycling of industrial wastes in construction, restoration of monumental structures, acoustics and noise control, IT applications in construction, Risk assessment in construction environment, Multi-dimensional multi-project management, GIS applications in construction, Life Cycle Costing, Disaster Mitigation, Energy Efficiency in Civil Engineering Materials, Application of Robotics and Automation in Construction.
- Environmental and Water Resources Engineering: Ground Water Engineering, Hydro-infrastructure, Computational Hydraulics, Water Resources and Environmental Modeling and Management, Air Pollution Control, Water Treatment and Environmental Bio-Technology.
- Geotechnical Engineering: Soil Dynamics, Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering, Rock Mechanics, Computational Geomechanics, Environmental Geotechnics.
- Structural Engineering: Computational Structural Mechanics, Experimental Methods, Bridge Engineering, Civil Engineering Infrastructure, Smart Material Structures.
- Transportation Engineering: Transportation Systems Optimization.
- IT enabled Civil Engineering: Application of Geo-informatics in Civil Engineering, Virtual Engineering of Constructed Facilities, Infrastructure Planning and Management, Sustainable Development.